Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sediment Analysis of Long Swamp Creek

For my Environmental Forensics class, we have to complete a mini research project. I choose to analyze sediment from the brook behind my house, Long Swamp Creek. Long Swamp Creek is a tributary of the Toms River, and is, according to the EPA, "moderately biologically impaired." There are a number of commercial properties and housing developments. Long Swamp Creek has looked pretty yucky from time to time, and I've seen a lot of garbage in it, so I am really excited to see what fun chemicals are lurking in the sediment.

So far only a few samples have been analyzed. I can preliminarily report that there are petroleum biomarkers, or as my colleague, Kevin, put it, "it looks like you had an oil spill back there."

I'll be sure to have an update with the full details of what was found as soon as they come in!

No comments:

Post a Comment