Monday, November 28, 2011

Cool Place of the Week #3- Pyramid Mountain Natural Historic Area

Pyramid Mountain Natural Historic Area is located in Morris County, NJ; not too far from New York City (in fact you can see NYC from a few of the scenic outlooks).  It has a really nice trail system that I was lucky enough to try out for myself this past summer. There are tons (literally and figuratively) of glacial erratics, which are rocks that are not native to the area, transported to their current location via the movement of glaciers. The must see erratics at Pyramid Mountain are Bear Rock, and Tripod Rock.

Before setting out on my hike, I had an idea of what to expect. Tripod Rock is balanced on 3 smaller rocks, and Bear Rock is much larger than Tripod Rock. So, I knew I was going to see big rocks. I went to see Bear Rock first, and  I was still quite a ways down the trail when I first saw it- my jaw dropped because I was astonished at how damn big it was:
This is me standing in front of Bear Rock. Told you it was big. For reference, I'm 5 feet 4 inches tall.
Next I went to Tripod Rock, which is a big rock balanced on three much smaller rocks. It looks lopsided and like it should fall over, but it's been this way for thousands of years:

There are some other glacial erratics scattered around the area, but none are as magnificent as these.


No comments:

Post a Comment